The following import and export options are available within MindGenius Desktop.
- Microsoft Word - (Heading styles are used to determine map hierarchy)
- Microsoft Project - (Import a Project plan)
- MindGenius iPad - (Maps can be imported via email, Dropbox or iTunes)
- Text files
- OPML files
- Mindjet maps (Mindjet 7 and newer)
- Other - Freemind, iThoughts* (iPhone/iPad), Thinkingspace* (Android), Pocket Mindmap, Brainbloom
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Excel (In Gantt view, there is an additional option to export to Excel Gantt chart)
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Visio
- Export as an image (JPEG, PNG, BMP, EMF)
- Other - PDF, HTML, Text file, Freemind, Freemind, iThoughts* (iPhone/iPad), Thinkingspace* (Android), Pocket Mindmap, RTF (Rich Text Format), OPML.
These export options could also be used as an intermediary between MindGenius and additional tools that do no integrate with MindGenius directly, but do work with Microsoft Office applications (eg. Evernote, Lotus Notes, Gmail)
To create two-way linking of tasks between Outlook and MindGenius the tasks need to be manually recreated in MindGenius, then sent to Outlook. Outlook is currently the only external source of contacts.
MindGenius uses the Office Automation API to send data to Office applications. Microsoft themselves put a great deal of effort into making sure that changes they make do not affect the operation of previous versions and features therein. As a result, it is very rare that a change is made to the Office suite that breaks any of the functionality in MindGenius.
Prior to release we spend months testing MindGenius across multiple operating systems and software versions. If a change had been made that broke a MindGenius feature it would be discovered and fixed prior to release. The same testing effort goes in to each minor release too.
(Note: There are currently no export options that allow the map to be expanded/collapsed. If you need to send a map to a colleague who needs this level of control, they can download the free MindGenius Viewer)
*Thinking Space and iThoughts have been acquired by Mindjet and rebranded as Mindjet applications. Since the acquisition Mindjet have removed the ability to export in MindGenius format. In order to continue using MindGenius with either of these products you should install an older version that is not branded as Mindjet.